Friday 13 January 2012

Winter Wonderland

I think it’s funny how much people love to complain about the snow and winter.  I think the winter is just an easy target because it’s not cool to like the winter.  Everyone loves the summer and the nice weather but personally, I think summer weather is over-rated. 

I love winter. I love a huge snow storm even more.  I love to sit inside with the fire going and watch the snow coming down so heavy you can hardly see anything else.  I love to go for walks when the snow is falling, especially when it’s dark out.  I love to play in the snow with the kids….I love even more to watch the kids playing in the snow.  I love to go out for breakfast to our favourite breakfast place and sit in the window eating French toast and bacon and drinking pots full of tea.

I go into hibernation in the winter. I think a lot of us do. And I know I need it.  By the end of the endless nice weather in the summer, I’m ready for a break from it. I can only enjoy so much nice weather.  In the summer, from the minute I wake up until darkness sets in (which, I’ll remind you is very late in the summer) I feel like I have to be outside enjoying it.  There is no time for rest and cuddling up on the couch and just doing nothing. And I love doing nothing.

Yep, the winter suits me just fine. On any given night, when I don’t have to go out, you may very well find me in my pajamas by 5pm. And I might not change out of those pajamas until sometime the following day if it’s on a weekend.  I like to fatten up a little in the winter too.  Ok, maybe I don’t like it but it happens.  I like to eat all of the comfort food I can get my hands on and since there’s no chance of anyone seeing me in a bathing suit for several months, I always say yes to seconds.

People don’t like the winter because they hate being cold and dealing with the snow. I say, embrace it.  Find the beauty in shorter days and longer nights and rest while you can.  I am sure when the summer comes I will remember all that is wonderful about nice, warm weather. But for right now, while the snow is falling and I am in my pajamas on the couch, I am more than happy that it is winter.

*************************************************************

The snow falls like it has a thousand times before
Still, it captivates me and tricks me to think I am watching it fall
for the very first time

The snow falls and wraps the earth in a soft, white blanket
and I am filled with warmth

The snow falls and as it falls it dances and
the child in me is dancing with it

The snow falls and grips the earth and
I am moved again.





1 comment:

  1. Your Student (gr 7)24 March 2012 at 20:20

    I like the poem at the end and personally I don't pick a favorite season sometime I hate the winter and sometimes I love it it's the same with all the seasons for me

    ReplyDelete