Saturday 17 March 2012

Ahhhh, Spring

And just like that, spring is here (for the time being anyway). It seems like only yesterday I was writing about how much I love a good snow storm and now, even the sight of one lonely snowflake, would make me curse all things winter. But there was not a snow flake in sight all week. Just sunshine, a warm breeze and kids playing in the street.

I say, bring on the longer days. Bring on sneakers. Bring on birds singing and seeing my first robin. Bring on drinks on patios. Bring on the first, tiny, lovely flowers.  Bring on feeling just a little bit happier. Bring on walks after dinner. Bring on gravel and dust and dirt all over the sidewalks. Bring on gravel and dust and dirt all over my floors and carpets. Bring on all of the dog poop that has been (mostly) hidden under mounds of snow. And bring on my students asking me every day if we can have class outside.

Bring it all on because I am a Canadian and I love all of my seasons. Just as I was tiring of old man winter, spring has blown in and everything seems new again.  Spring has a charm like no other.  It is as if the earth has been dusted of its wintery blanket and reveals, once again, all of its magnificence. 

And just as the earth has dusted itself clean, I too will dust this house of mine and make it reveal its...well, magnificence is maybe too strong an adjective…its potential. Potential is actually a good word to associate with spring.  Potential to clean your house. Potential to shed those hateful winter pounds.  And the potential to live life with just a little more spring in your step.

*************************************************************

In my class, I often will have my students find a picture for inspiration for their writing.  Here is my poem about spring and the picture I used for inspiration.

I thought I saw you close to death
Cold, alone and grasping for breath

Gray sky and water surrounding your being
Bare limbs and dark tangles stopped me from seeing

While pondering your sure demise
It all became clear and I opened my eyes

Beyond the dark and obvious strife
There was a spirit reaching for life

I see you now not close to death
But on the verge of your first breath



No comments:

Post a Comment