Saturday 16 June 2012

Constructive Criticism – I Don’t Think So

This week`s lifestyle challenge in The Globe and Mail, and I quote, ``Learn to take constructive criticism. Meet up with key people in your private and professional life and ask what you could do better”.  Are they serious?  Well, I for one am out.  I don’t know about you but this is about the last thing my already fragile mental state can handle.  Are they trying to destroy my friendships and get me fired?  Ok, I may be being a little over dramatic but I’ll choose ignorance on this topic any day.

It is a very noble idea. And I’m sure a stronger, more stable and less sensitive person could handle it. I have never said I wasn’t self-aware – I know what many of my many faults are, I just don’t want anyone else telling me. (Side note – when searching for the word faults, my husband asked if I’d like some help identifying what mine are. I didn’t say people didn’t want to tell me what’s wrong with me).  The idea of the challenge is to improve people’s lives but in my inconsistent pursuit of being a better person, I have drawn a definite line.

Why not have a sit down with those closest to me and give them the chance to tell me what they have been holding back for years? Not a chance. Some people may disagree with me and think that this is a great idea. I envy them. I wish I could be like them. But I am just not wired that way.

We all have areas that need work. And usually we either accept the faults in our friends or we move on. Sometimes, in indirect ways, our friends and colleagues drop subtle hints to keep us in line. And don’t we love to talk about other people’s shortcomings? I think we do this because it makes us feel better about ourselves. And sometimes quite frankly, it does. Here’s a good challenge – stop thinking about what other people could do better and try to be better. That, I will attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment