Friday 29 July 2011

Real Life Moment of a Certifiable Crazy Person

I have just checked in to one of my favourite places in the world to visit, Langdon Hall. Langdon Hall is a beautiful country estate that I frequent for afternoon tea and spa treatments. I feel comfortable here, its surroundings familiar to me, like visiting an old friend.  Tonight I was checking in to meet up with Eric while he is here for work. A retreat for me at a place I love and a chance for Eric and me to reconnect. 
I have been so looking forward to tonight and had it been for anyone else I could have planned their night to a tee.  However, because it was my night, indecision has set it and instead of oozing the calm and collected side of me, I have unintentionally presented the neurotic, control freak side.
It actually started with my entrance into the lobby with the contents of my overnight bag not so delicately shoved in and over flowing from the opened zipper.  Next, our room assignment. I am a creature of habit. I like things that are familiar. I knew which building I wanted us to be staying and instead I was ushered upstairs into very unfamiliar territory. My mind is screaming, “No, please, take me to the outer building. I don’t want to go up here.”  But, I just smiled and reluctantly let myself into my room.
It’s all wrong even though it’s so lovely. Wait a minute, where is the TV? This simply won’t do. Back down to the front desk I go to politely be told, “Every room has a TV ma’am”.  Back to my room. I try and settle but it’s just not right. Against the very loud voice in my head I pick up the phone and call the front desk asking to change rooms. What is wrong with me? Dammit, every room is sold out. I resolve that this is the room I’ll be sleeping in tonight (even though when I stand in the middle of the room there is such a loud humming that it is actually giving me a headache. I wonder if I should say something?)
Dinner.  Oh, what do I want to do? Order room service or sit in the cozy pub? I speak with the bartender who is being very kind and accommodating to someone who is clearly becoming unravelled. I decide that I’ll go shower and then come to dinner. He reserves a table for me. Back to my room. Actually, I don’t want to shower. I am only able to come to this conclusion after placing a call to a friend to help me with this hugely important decision. She also recommends that I order a drink even though she knows I never drink. Why would she even say that?
Fast forward to this exact moment. I am sipping my second cosmo and finally feeling at peace with my surroundings.  My new favourite bartender has helped me to order the perfect dinner – a little bit of this and a little bit of that. It’s all delicious and my night has really only just begun.
Just to tie up loose ends, after dinner, I think I’ll go and explain to the ladies at the front desk that I’m not really a crazy person. Or maybe that would seem crazy, I don`t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment