Monday 1 August 2011

Life is Good

Don’t you love those days that just reaffirm that everything you are doing in your life is right? Those days that make all of the crazy, and I mean crazy, moments of the past days, weeks and months melt away. These are the days that refuel our love and appreciation of the people in our lives that sometimes make us the craziest.
Yesterday was one of those days. We spent the day with the kids at the beach. We devoted ourselves to them and making sure they had a great day.  We jumped in the waves, built sand castles, played at the park and ate junk food. We were happy. We were all happy and five people, ranging in age between one and thirty-eight, being happy at the same time isn’t always easy.
After a great day with the kids at the beach, Eric and I headed out for a night to ourselves. We love our kids but we also love to get away from them (that sounds harsh, but it’s true).  It’s as if we’re another couple when we’re out without our three (amazing) children. We laugh, hold hands, kiss and talk. Actually, we’re not ‘another’ couple, we’re ourselves…10 years ago.
This particular date night started at the movies. It was a great movie and one that reminded us how lucky we are to have each other and how happy we really are together.  So, we left the theatre feeling very much in love. This cinematic bliss was almost derailed on our way to have a night cap at our favourite restaurant downtown. I wanted to park and walk through my favourite neighbourhood and he just wanted to park much closer. My silence in the car was deafening and we parked in my usual spot and enjoyed a lovely walk to town.
We sat on the patio, ordered cosmos and did our best to ignore the cigarette smoke that was drifting our way. We talked about what was going on in our lives and our plans for the rest of the summer. There was very little talk of the kids and that felt right as so much of our conversation so often revolves around them.  After a long sip of my cosmo, I looked at Eric and said, “Life is good, isn’t it.” His smile back at me spoke even louder than my earlier silence in the car and I thought to myself, ``It`s even better than good.‘‘

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. It brought tears to my eyes. Sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete