Saturday 26 November 2011

Thoughts from a Coffee Shop

Ahhhh, here I sit perched on a stool in the huge picture window at one of my favourite local coffee shops. I don’t actually drink coffee, I prefer tea. I want to like coffee.  I love how it smells and I love the idea of waking up to coffee brewing in the morning. But for now, coffee, like wine, eludes me and I sip on English Breakfast and Diet Coke instead (which, it should be noted, I have started drinking much less of).

Anyway, as I was saying, I’m perched on a stool, looking out over a bustling street.  Whenever I walk by coffee shops, I always want to be the person in the window on their computer looking all relaxed but important at the same time.  I wonder if that’s how I look. The guy beside me actually is important. He is on his computer and working with spreadsheets – potentially boring, but impressive. 

I’ve come here to write and to feel creative.  I’m here alone and there’s no phone to answer (well, my cell phone is right beside me but since I have yet to get a smart phone, I am barely connected by today’s standards).  There is no dinner to make and no kids to answer to.  Let the creative process begin. I wonder if observing myself in a coffee shop is considered creative.

I definitely need to do this more often and for longer. Currently, I have only a forty-five minute escape from my real life. You know the one that involves three children and two dogs that never seem to stop barking. I’m practically on vacation in here.  I’m oozing relaxedness. 

There are two actors on the other side of me and I might as well be part of their conversation we’re in such close proximity.  I so wish I could sing and act and dance but I am the exact opposite of a triple threat.  I’m like the anti-triple threat so I’ll eavesdrop a little longer and live vicariously through them.  Actually, it doesn’t sound that great…far too unpredictable for me. Hmm, I hope none of the people I’m spying on happen to spy back and to find themselves part of my creative process. 

I’m not sure what I came here to accomplish today. I think I was aiming for some sort of genius piece of writing that will inspire all who read it.  I think I may have missed the mark a little but it felt good nonetheless and if I looked relaxed and powerful while I did it, all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment