Thursday 1 December 2011

A Tribute to my Dad

~A tribute to my Dad who died ten years ago today, December 2, 2001~

Ten years ago, on December 2, 2001, my father passed away suddenly. It was a devestating time and those early days still haunt me. But time has helped to heal that raw pain and allowed me to see beyond my grief. Now, I stand in wonder of the man I knew as Dad. How does one pay proper tribute to someone who was larger than life? To someone who left his life far earlier than he ever should have. I have been thinking about this piece for quite some time, as the ten year anniversary of his death approached. What could I say to properly acknowledge the man he was? How could I possibly put into words how much he meant to all who knew him and how much he has been missed over these last ten years? My father’s spirit was a generous and happy one. He left a legacy of being an amazing husband, father, son, friend, brother, neighbour and educator.

I am always so proud to tell people who my dad was. I am always so happy when people stop to share a story with me about him.  He was kind and he was sincere and he was loved by all who knew him.  This was a man who made breakfast every morning for his wife and dinner every night for our family.  He did all of the grocery shopping and all of the baking.  I know you don’t believe a man like this could possibly exist, but he did. We were spoiled by his generosity and we all wish we could go back and show him the gratitude he deserved.  Still, he knew we loved him and we know he loved us and that has to be enough.

One of the only things I can remember about his funeral was during the eulogy from his best friend, Dave.  He told the mourning audience that, “I know of no man who could overall an engine and then go into the house and make ginger snap cookies.” There are so many memories and stories that I could share, but I’m going to leave you with just one that is fitting for this time of year.

*************************************************************

Every year on Christmas Eve, for many years beginning when I was just a young child, my family’s very own Secret Santa would pay us a visit. Every Christmas morning, my sisters and I would run to the front door to find what secret Santa had left us.  My dad tried in vain to figure out who was paying us these magical visits. He would wait up until all hours trying to catch them in the act.  One year, he even followed the tracks left in the snow out of our front door and around the block. He suspected a few people but was never able to discover their true identity.

We were always sure that our Secret Santa came to us because of Dad and the Christmas Eve after his death we received this letter from them.

Dear Bowman Family,                                                                                                                  
Christmas 2001

No one can imagine how difficult this Christmas is for you and with that in mind, we debated about continuing the “Secret Santa”. Since it all started through the kindness and concern of one very special person, Peter Bowman, we decided that he would not want it to stop. Instead, we thought we would tell you how it all began.

Approximately seventeen years ago, in the staff room of Juliet Public School, a very concerned teacher came through the staff room door with a dilemma.  It seems that Peter had told his Grade 7 class that they should be cautious about making comments regarding Santa Claus on the playground as many primary students in the school still believed that Santa Claus was real.  Apparently, after saying this, one young girl in his Grade 7 class became very upset and said that she still really did believe in Santa Claus.  After much staff room discussion, the final comment was, “Surely by the time you reach Grade 7, you know there isn’t a real Santa Claus!”

This seemed to convince Peter that the young girl in his classroom was just looking for a bit of attention, but in the days to follow, he mentioned it to me often, “Do you really think she still believed in Santa Claus?” That year, we decided to remind Peter that there is a Santa Claus and we related it to the story ‘Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus’ and so – Secret Santa has been visiting ever since and enjoying every moment of it.

I only worked for your husband and father for a short time but have been in his company on and off for the past seventeen years.  He was one of the most conscientious and caring people I have ever met – one who touched the lives of many people and encouraged many of their personal worth.  Whenever I met him he talked of his wonderful family and how proud he was of his daughters. He truly was an inspiration to all of us.

Now, not only do I believe in Santa but I believe in angels too. For God to take someone so special from here on earth, there must be a much more important role for him in Heaven. 

God Bless Your Family,
Secret Santa

We miss you Dad and we are so sad not to have had you with us all of these years.




3 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you on Thursday when I saw the tribute to your dad in the paper. It is really hard to believe that it has been 10 years. I only knew your dad from a short stint he did at Downie in the late 80's, and I know Matt was very fond of him.
    What a lovely letter that your Santa sent your family - and the story that goes along with it! Those are the fun memories that make you smile aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I finished reading this I had tears in my eyes I remember when my grandma died and it was hard but I can't even imagine loosing my father you are a trouper.

    ReplyDelete