Friday 19 February 2016

On Turning 40…Please Advise

My birthday has always been one of my favourite days of the year. Ok. It is my favourite day of the year. Or at least, it was. This year I will be saying goodbye to my thirties. You know, the decade we lump together with the twenties. That was really great. Sigh. I know this is all about perspective and everyone over 40 reading this is rolling their eyes at me. But I am not 50 thinking 40 is young. I’m 39 damn it. And this is hard.

Just 4 - no zero

I have always loved my birthday because, well, I love being special. It’s likely a by-product of me being a first born - you know, thinking I’m special all the time. I also love getting presents. There’s no point to censoring myself at this point - I’m turning 40 - I can say whatever I want now, right? My birthday parties have never been particularly lavish but they have always been great. Well, except maybe my 30th birthday when Eric threw me a family pot-luck in our backyard. That was only ok.

I also love planning and throwing parties and Eric and I have become quite good at it. I have learned - finally - that the key to being a good host is drinking. I am the much nicer, more relaxed version of myself with a couple of one ounce Cosmos in me (I feel I've mentioned this before). I therefore assumed that I would want a big party for my fortieth. But the closer it gets I am not so sure and I don’t know why. I think I would want a hand in planning it and that seems, well, wrong. But is it? I feel like I don’t actually want the attention for this particular birthday. I also sometimes feel like big parties are actually quite impersonal and maybe the introvert in me wants a little more one-one-one time with my close friends for this one. 

Oh, 40. My magic number is 27. That’s the age my mind tells me I am. Maybe it’s because that’s the year I had my first child. ‘Life’ was still fully ahead of me. For so much of our lives we don’t think about the passing of time.  We just live. Then there is a shift and all of sudden we become acutely aware that time is finite. And I’ve always had a thing with ‘the end’. Somewhere on this laptop is a dusty blog about the obituary I want written and the vision I have of my own funeral. (I’ll post it, but only with some begging.)

So to mark the occasion of turning 40, I want your opinion. And I know many of you are also turning 40 this year. Go 1976! I’ll likely just do what I want anyway but I’m hoping something someone says will resonate with me.  What do you think about celebrating a fortieth? What would you want? What did you do? What would you have done differently? Milestone birthdays are quite personal and I know there will be quite a range of responses. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts in the comment section below.

10 comments:

  1. I think an intimate dinner gathering hosted at your own home would be nice. Hosted by a chef who guides the group to preparing a wonderful meal together. Close friends. Great food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds amazing. Something I hadn't thought of. Any recommendations on a chef who likes to do this?

      Delete
    2. There is a chef in Guelph who does this. A friend of mine went to a 40th cooking party and they made a mexican meal. Heather

      Delete
  2. A trip you've always wanted but always put on the back burner. Paris perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Paris. One day we'll be together. Funny, I used to always want to get away from the kids and now I don't. Paris can wait until they're a little older and won't miss us as much.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever noticed that men usually have big parties for their 40th,50th etc. b-days but women usually don't celebrate those milestones in a big way after 30? It seems to be that women don't embrace aging the way men do...or rather, maybe men don't think about it that much. After all, men just look better with age, right? Grrrr.
    I chose to ring in my 40th with an intimate dinner at a great restaurant with the people that mean the most to me. That was enough for me--mind you, I had a baby at the time. ;) I think back about my 40th birthday celebration quite fondly with no regrets. What will you want to look back on? Will you want to remember it by a trip, a party or an intimate celebration? I say if you want a big party and you want to have a hand in the planning, go for it. It's your party and you can plan it if you want to! :) Jess Drennan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess. You're right…they do. I appreciate that they don't seem to agonize over well, anything, really. Men just go with more easily. What do I want to look back on…that's a good question. Thanks for responding!

      Delete
  4. I'm not one for hosting big parties or planning surprises. I surprised my Grandma by flying out west for her 90th birthday. More importantly I surprised my mom as she was so disappointed I wasn't coming! But someone else did all the organizing & paying for the party :) I just had to show up.
    Rory & I like to host dinner parties or a porch party in the summer. We like to plan the menu & have our friends just show up. No need for potluck. Bring liquor if you wish, but just show up, have fun & enjoy. But big parties are expensive & I think of flights to BC & how much they cost & the kids need new hockey skates...I just can't quite justify it.
    For both my 30th & my 40th, I went away. That wasn't meant to start a tradition but it became one. I remember going to Ottawa for the first time for my 30th birthday. We stayed at the Chateau Laurier and went for dinner at the Echo Cafe (no longer there). It was delicious! It was very cold & snowy in Ottawa but I loved it & remember it well. We went to Mexico for Christmas & my 40th birthday. I told everyone for a couple months before that we were going for my 40th so I would get used to it in my head. We stayed with my mom at her Mexican home. My brother & his family came for part of our holiday as well. It was special for me to be with my family for Christmas as that never happens. It was amazing to be in the sun. My goal was to drink margaritas & eat guacamole everyday. I didn't live up to that. But I did have a huge margarita & amazing dinner on my birthday.
    I know you love parties Lori, but my vote, if you're going to spend the money, go away!!!!
    Love Corry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this thoughtful response, Cor. I also like your directness. I feel like I need to be told what to do right now! You are Rory host such great parties and intimate dinners. And I know you like coming to our parties :) so I appreciate your opinion.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete