Sunday 25 December 2011

The Christmas Card

I have the Christmas card that Eric gave for me this year sitting beside me for my inspiration today.  I love cards. I think they’re a great way to take a moment to let someone know how you’re feeling and it captures just a little bit of your relationship with that person at the time.  I love to find the ‘perfect’ card for people. It takes a certain kind of skill to find just the right card and I am particularly good at it.

Back to my inspiration – the message in this year’s Christmas card from Eric read, and I quote, “Thanks for a great 2011. Looking forward to a fun 2012! Hope you have a great Christmas.” (Stop for a moment of uncomfortable silence…). Apparently, my husband did not read my last piece of writing that specifically mentioned not writing general messages that could be given to anyone. I was speechless. Actually, I wasn’t speechless at all. Are you kidding me?  I had to reread the message again. Is that it?  Jesus. I was expecting a lengthy note about what an amazing mother and wife I am and how I have made this time of year so special for our family. I mean, it didn’t have to be in those exact words but somewhere in the general ballpark. I guess I’m not as ‘great’ as I thought I was. 

Eric did redeem himself with my Christmas gifts.  They were wrapped in beautiful paper which is also something I love.  He did however forget to put any of my wrapped presents under the tree so that I would be able to admire the beautiful paper…maybe next year.  One of my gifts was piano music for Adele’s Someone Like You, which was an incredibly thoughtful gift. It was also slightly incriminating as it proves he does read this blog and should have known better than to ever write a message like that in my card.

What this ‘incident’ points out is that my expectations are just too high. If you know me at all you’ll know I would never say that.  What this incident really points out is that people do for others what they ultimately would like in return.  If you give someone space during a difficult time, than space is probably what you would like during those times.  If you shower your friends with gifts, you’re probably hoping for a little loot yourself.  We all speak to each other and try to show our love for one another in different ways (read more with The 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman).

I’ll go tuck this card away now, potentially never to be pulled out again.  I guess I need to appreciate that not everyone uses words in the same way that I do. And just because Eric didn’t write me a gift of writing to capture ‘us’ right now, I’m sure he appreciates me just the same (I hope so anyway).  Well done to those of you who took the challenge. I’m sure the recipients appreciated them very much.  Hell, who am I kidding, I’m going to go and ask Eric to try again. I’ll find the writer in him yet.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment