Saturday 8 October 2011

The Fall Frolic

Last weekend, Eric and I were guests at a wonderful, annual party held by our good friends at their cottage.  The weekend’s activities were based on celebrating the love and partnership between you and your spouse.  I don’t know about you, but I do a much better job of adoring my husband when there is no pressure and it isn’t the expectation. Well, I suppose a good wife would always adore her husband but, who’s kidding who?  There was just a lot of pressure going into the whole thing to get along and be happy.  Remember I said this was a celebration, not a challenge.

Eric and I led up to our ‘getaway’ by yelling at each other while we were trying to get the kids out of the house. I seem to recall both of us saying, “I can’t believe I have to go to this with you!” We were off to a good start. Leaving the house to go anywhere is never easy though so I had anticipated this minor road bump.  We settled down and made a pit stop to pick up a milkshake at a local ice cream shop. While at the counter I laughed when I saw a sign that read – Milkshakes are known to reduce tension.  Eric then turned to the server and said, “My wife will take two.” Really?

The car ride there was a good chance for us both to relax and get into a mood a little more appropriate for a weekend of love.  We arrived to the cottage and were greeted by our hosts and the other ‘frolickers’.  I quickly threw down a glass of champagne. Those who know me, know I don’t drink often, but I thought it was a necessity for this particular weekend. You see, not only was there pressure to be ‘in love’ but also to be fun. And fun is not a characteristic people would usually (ever) use to describe me.

It’s definitely a shortcoming of mine which is exaggerated even more by how fun Eric is.  And at this particular party I was surrounded by a bunch of fun people, just like Eric.  So, it was bottoms up for me, and let the good times roll.  Fast forward to the dance portion of the evening and see me doing the running man for the very first time. Everyone was very impressed by my new found skill. I was owning fun.

But, all good things must come to an end, and just like Cinderella at the stroke of midnight, at about the stroke of 10:59, I changed back into boring Lori.  At this point, Eric’s fun factor was just irritating and I knew it was time for me to call it a night.  Eric’s alcohol intake also caught up to him and he ‘fell asleep’ before I was even done brushing my teeth.

After a lovely breakfast we said our goodbyes and headed home. I looked back through the images of the weekend and on our camera was the proof that not only do I have moves but, when infused with just the right amount of alcohol, I can be fun too.  We drove back, tea and coffee in hand, enjoying the beautiful colours of my favourite season.  I felt re-energized, connected to my husband and proud of myself for moving (very unnaturally) out of my comfort zone.  All of this, of course, came to a screeching halt the minute we stepped through our front door and were greeted by the rest of our family. But, the memories of the frolic live on and I hope one day to frolic again.

No comments:

Post a Comment