Wednesday 5 October 2011

A Taste of Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving approaches, one must enjoy the anticipation of the most delicious meal of the year.  I personally can’t wait to be put into my tryptophan induced slumber, wake up in a turkey fog and enjoy the whole meal all over again layered between two slices of warm bread.

I am famous for two things at Thanksgiving – my bread stuffing and my homemade cranberry sauce. Well, to be truthful, everyone loves my stuffing but I’m the only one who appreciates the cranberry sauce – so a famous in my own mind kind of thing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bread Stuffing - It ain’t fancy but it’s amazing. I usually double the recipe.

2 celery stalks – finely chopped
1 medium onion – finely chopped
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
9 cups (~14 slices) soft bread cubes
(I use half white and half brown)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sage
½ teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon pepper

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Cook the celery and onion in butter 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.  Remove from heat.

Gently toss the celery mixture with the bread cubes, thyme, salt, sage and pepper until the bread cubes are evenly coated.

Put into an oven safe bowl and cover. Heat for between 30-60 minutes.  It could be made the day before and kept in the fridge. It can also be stuffed in the bird (obviously) if that’s what you prefer.

Cranberry Sauce

4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 cups water
2 cups sugar

Heat the water and sugar to boiling in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue boiling 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the cranberries. Get back to boiling, stirring occasionally until cranberries begin to ‘pop’, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and pour the sauce into a bowl. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until chilled.

Mmmmm….so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment